1) What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimization. It refers to techniques that help your website become more visible in organic search results for the people who are looking for your brand, product, or service via search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
2) What’s the difference between organic vs. paid results?
Organic results are the results that appear in search engines, for free, based on an algorithm. Paid — or inorganic — search results appear at the top or side of a page. These are the links that advertisers pay to appear on different search engines.
3) What are meta descriptions and do they still matter?
A meta description is the text that appears below your page in a search engine result that explains what the page is all about. In this example, the meta description is “Learn the elements needed to write a comprehensive blog post in just 9 easy steps.”
Meta descriptions still matter, just not in the same way they used to. They used to be a place to optimize for keywords so crawlers would know more about your page contents; now, it’s more important you write something compelling that makes readers want to click so you can improve conversion rates from SERP results to your website.
4) Should I optimize my domain name to include keywords?
Your primary domain should not include a keyword just for the sake of keyword optimization — that can actually hurt your SEO. If your company name happens to have a keyword, that’s fine, but don’t go buying inboundmarketingsoftwareblog.com. Get what I mean?
5) How do I know when I�m using the right number of keywords on a page?
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you an exact number that is the “right” number of keywords on a page, mostly because that’s the wrong way to think about keyword optimization.
There’s no keyword density you should be aiming for — in fact, using a keyword too many times can result in penalization due to “keyword stuffing.” Just keep the reader in mind, and only use keywords when you need to. You’ll find enough natural opportunities to include keywords that you won’t even have to worry about reaching an arbitrary number.
6) What�s the difference between internal and inbound links?
Internal links are links on a page on your site that go to another page on your site. Inbound links are other websites that link to your content. Both are valuable for SEO.
7) How many internal links do I need on each page of content?
Just like you should avoid stuffing too many keywords into your content, you should avoid stuffing too many links into your content. Only include them when it improves the reader experience.
9) Do I need to know code to do SEO myself?
You do not need to know how to code for every element of search optimization. There are some more advanced SEO tactics that you will need a basic understanding of code for, but it isn’t necessary for every part.
10) What is robots.txt?
This is a page that gives search engines information about the pages a company wants indexed or crawled. You can find this page by doing to YOURDOMAIN/robots.txt.
11) What is the sitemap.xml file?
This file is an index of all the pages on your site. It’s a quick reference for search engines of content that you want indexed.
12) What is the difference between indexed and crawling?
When search engines look through the content on your website, they are crawling your site. As they crawl your site, they index content that will appear in the search engine. However, an important thing to remember is that not all content is indexed. Search engines pick what content they will and won’t index as they go through the crawling process.
13) How can I see what pages are indexed?
It’s as easy as typing in site:www.YOURDOMAIN.com to find the pages on your site that are indexed.
14) Why do you need alt text on your images?
Search engines cannot read images, but they can read text. The alt text helps them figure out what the images are all about. Plus, if a page doesn’t load for some reason, people can still find out what the image is by reading the alt text.
15) How long does it take to see results from SEO?
There are a few different factors that will determine how quickly (or slowly) results will come. This list includes, but isn’t limited to:
- How much content you create
- The quality of the content
- How the content resonates with your audience
- If you’re a big or small site with strong or weak domain authority
A large site could possibly see results in a couple of days if a search engines is crawling their site regularly. Smaller sites will most likely take longer because they get crawled less frequently. Wait at least a week, but probably closer to a month, before you consider changing your SEO strategy — a bit longer if you’re brand new to SEO.
16) Should I hire someone to do my SEO?
Hiring someone internally or externally to do your SEO can be helpful, but it can also be dangerous if that person doesn’t actually know the modern rules of SEO. Google goes into the risks of hiring the wrong SEO.
17) What’s a good goal to set for your SEO?
When you think about your goal for SEO, don’t just think about the top of the funnel and how many more visits you’re getting to your website. Think about your full marketing funnel and how much quality traffic you’re getting to your website.
Are the people who are finding your website through SEO actually qualified prospects for your business? If not, does it really matter that the traffic to your website has increased?
As you create your goals, consider what general traffic vs. quality traffic means to you. Set goals not just based on traffic, but based on the entirety of your marketing funnel.
Single Answer – Questions and Answers for SEO
1) What is the main advantage of using Meta Description tag in SEO
- a) It helps to rank high in search engines
- b) Meta Description tags helps search engines list a website
- c) Meta Description tags are not important in SEO
- d) It helps the searcher to get a brief idea about the page before he click
Ans: d) It helps the searcher to get a brief idea about the page before he click.
Note: Meta Description tag serves as a copy that will tempt searchers to click on your listing
2) If you have URL like www.example.com/admin what is the best direction to add in robots.txt to restrict search engine bots from crawling the page.
- a) Allow:
- b) Disallow: /admin
- c) Allow: /admin
- d) Disallow
Answer: b) Disallow: /admin
3) Which is most advisable SEO friendly URL (URL structure) to start a blog in a website
- a) www.blog.example.com
- b) create blog.com and attache to website
- c) www.example.com/blog
Answer: c) www.example.com/blog
4) Which is the nick name of Google Panda Algorithm Updation
- a) Farmer
- b) Pigeon
- c) Caffeine
- d) Vince
Ans: a) Farmer
5) Which hyperlink placed in a webpage passes most link value in SEO
- a) A link placed in Menu
- b) A hyperlink added in a main body content portion
- c) A link placed with footer
- d) A hyperlink placed with right side menu button
Answer : b) A hyperlink added in a main body content portion
6) What is mean by Inbound Link in SEO
- a) A pointing link to a page with in the website
- b) A pointing hyperlink added from a keyword
- c) A hyperlink pointing to our website from another website or web page
- d) A link pointing to another website
Ans: d) A hyper link pointing to our website or website page from another website ( preferably anchored from an appropriate or relevant keyword)
7) What is mean by Google Page Rank
- a) A Ranking position achieved by a website in search result
- b) A position denoting in SERP
- c) A grade mark awarded by Google based on the quality of back links achieved by a website page
- d) A ranking provided by Google as per the number of visits achieved by a website
Ans: C) A grade level allotted to website pages by Google as per the number of quality back links achieved by a website page.
8) What is mean by on page SEO optimization
- a) A number of modifications made within website and website pages
- b) Practice of analyzing website
- c) Practice of building backlinks
- d) Researching on website�s quality levels & improving
Ans: a) Modifications made with in website like changes and alterations made in head & body sessions of website page and over all modifications made with in the website can be called as on page SEO optimization.
9) The company which provides Traffic Ranking & analysis tools names �Alexa�
- a) Google
- b) Yahoo
- c) Amazon
- d) Ask
Ans: c) Amazon
Reference: Alexa is website traffic analysis tool provided by Amazon.com. Alexa traffic ranking is estimated on the data signals send by alexa tool bars installed in browsers.
10) Google Algorithm Penguin is connected which kind of spamming activity
- a) Low quality content publishing
- b) Low quality link building
- c) Connected with low google page rank
- d) Connected with local visibility
Ans: b) Low quality link building
Reference : Penguin algorithm update is an update conducted by Google against low quality link building for effecting manipulation of search engine listing.
11) Which one below is the best seo practice while conducting title optimization
- a) Use less than 512 px width for your title with 50 to 70 characters
- b) Use important keywords near to the beginning
- c) The titles used in each pages should be unique
- d) All the Above are best seo practices in title optimization
Ans: d) All the above are best seo practices in title optimization
12) If robots meta tag is not included in a website page the effect is
- a) The website page will not indexed by search engine bots
- b) The website page will not be followed by search engine bots
- c) The website page will be indexed and followed by search engine bots
- d) The website page will be not followed and indexed in search results
Ans: c) The website page will be indexed and followed by search engine bots
Reference : For every web pages the default value for robots meta tag will be �index, follow� so website pages will be crawled, cached and indexed by the website.
13) Which HTTP status code shows ok or success message about a website page
Ans: a) 200
Reference: HTTP status code 200 says ok or success message about a website page
14) Which Google algorithm update was created to manipulative link building techniques to rank in Google search engine ranking
- a) Panda
d) Humming bird
Ans: b) Penguin
Google�s Penguin Algorithm update was aimed to avoid manipulative search engine listing generated by low quality and spam link building techniques.
15) Which on below is the best practice when your produce a meta description for a website page as part of search engine optimization
- a) Complete the meta description with in 155 characters
b) Use unique descriptions in your meta description tags
c) Produce the best description to achieve better click through rate (CTR)
d) All the above are best practices
16) Which HTTP status code given below represents a permanent redirect status for a webpage
Ans: b) HTTP Status code 301 says a permanent redirect for a website page
17) Name of Google�s algorithm update rolled out on 21st April connected with mobile optimized websites
- a) Pegion
- b) EMD Update
- c) Mobilegeddon
- d) Humming Bird
Ans: c) Mobilegeddon
Mobilegeddon is the latest search engine algorithm update made by Google which provides better search engine ranking for website which are optimized for mobile devices. As a initial step, the Mobilegeddon Google algorithm update will reduce ranking for websites with less readability text with out tapping or by zooming. Google� web master central has officially confirmed the rolling out of Mobilegeddon algorithm update on 21st April 2015.
18) Main role or responsibility of Canonical tag in SEO optimization
- a) Canonical tag provide clear indication to URL actually preferred
- b) Canonical tag helps to avoid bad impact of content duplication problems
- c) Canonical tag passes the same value as in 301 redirection (permanent 301 redirection)
- d) All the Above roles
Ans: d) All the above
19) In SEO, URL provided with canonical tag gives equal effect of which redirection to search engines
- a) 301 permanent redirection
b) 302 temporary redirction
c) 307 Redirect
d) Meta Refresh Redirction
Ans: a) 301 permanent redirection rule
20) How many Disavow files (disavow documents) are allowed for a website at a time
- a) 1
Ans: a) only 1 file document (disavow file) can be used at time. The document need to be created as TXT file following its document creation directions.
New Update Questions and Answers
1) What is SEO and introduce its types?
Search engine optimization or SEO is a process of keep changing the position of a web page or
website in a search engine results by using keywords or phrases.
Two Types of SEO are:
- On Page Optimization
- Off Page Optimization
2) What are the SEO tools do you use?
The SEO tools that I use are Google analytic, keyword search, Alexa, open site explorer, Google Webmaster.
3) What do you mean by Backlink?
The incoming links to your website or webpage is referred as Backlink.
4) What are out bound Links?
The outbound links are our website links to other webpage or website.
5) Can you tell me something about Googlebot?
To index a webpage Google uses the Googlebot software. Caching, Crawling and indexing of a webpage are done through Googlebot by collecting details from that webpage.
6) What is Cross linking and what are the function of Cross linking?
- Cross linking is used to refer the process of linking one site to another site and provide a way to allow the accessing to it.
- It provides the users with reference sites that consists the content related to the search. It doesn’t need to be owned by the same person as it provides the methods that have been built on the Internet.
- It serves the purpose to display the page on the search engines using search engine optimization techniques and methods.
- The site ranking is calculated on the basis of the relevance of the sites and then it is reflected on the search engine.
- It uses SEO tools that provide reciprocal links and inbound links that can be used as our SEO.
7) What is the main purpose of using keyword in SEO?
Keyword is a single word, and while a combination of those keywords makes phrases. These keywords or phrases are used by the search engines to populate the subjects over the internet. Search engine stores keywords in the database, and when search is done, it will come up with the best possible match.
8) Can you mention the functions of body content relevance?
Whenever there is a text that does not have images on the web page is referred as body content relevance or non-image text. It helps in good optimization of the sites and also to improve your ranking in the search engine.
9) What are Spiders, Robots and Crawlers and what are their functions?
Spiders, robot and crawler, they are all same and referred by different names. It is a software program that follows, or �Crawls� different links throughout the internet, and then grabs the content from the sites and adds to the search engine indexes.
10) What does it mean if nothing appears on doing search on the domain?
On doing search on your domain and if nothing appears then there are three possibilities.
- May be the site is banned by search engines
- May be no index by search engines
- Some canonical issues
11)What is keyword stemming?
The process of finding out the root word from the search query is referred as keywords stemming.
12) Name some SEO blogs that you frequently read?
- Search Engine Land
- Search Engine Journal
13) What do you mean by Cloaking?
Cloaking is a deceptive way of optimizing search. In this technique a different content will be searched by the search engine than what is presented or searched by the users.
14) How many types of Meta Tags are there in SEO and what are their characters limits?
There are two types Meta tags in SEO.
- Description Meta tag with 156 characters limits
- Keyword Meta tag with 180-200 characters limits
15) How many characters limits in Title tag?
We can add 60 characters in title tag.
16) What is Google Sandbox?
Google sandbox is an imaginary area where new websites and their search rating are put on hold until they prove worthy for ranking. In other words, it checks the standard of the website.
17) Tell me something about Black Hat SEO?
In order to get a high ranking in search engine result page, websites go for various methods and techniques which are characterized by two categories. One method that is acceptable by search engine guidelines is known as White Hat SEO, while the other method which is not acceptable by search engine guidelines is known as Black Hat SEO.
18) Name few Black Hat SEO techniques?
- Link Farming
- Hidden text, etc.
- Gateway or Doorway pages
- Keyword Stuffing
19) Can you differentiate between �nofollow� and �dofollow� link?
Nofollow links are not passed by search engines bot and therefore cannot be cached or indexed. Dofollow link is a kind of hyperlink and it passes through all search engines and it puts an impact over page rank.
20) What is the difference between PR (page rank) and SERP (Search engine result
Page rank is calculated on the basis of quality inbound links from other website or webpages to our webpage or a website.
SERP (Search Engine Result page) is the placement of the website or web-pages which is returned by the search engine after a search query or attribute.
21) Why the Title Tag in website is valuable?
Title tags are very essential in SEO, as it tells about the contents on that web page. Through title tags only the search engine will tell the user, what is there in the page.
22) What is considered as more significant, creating content or building backlinks?
Both are necessary, creating quality content is equally important to building backlinks. Although, building backlinks are useful in building authority to a site and for ranking as well, quality content is the first element that is considered to be more responsible for ranking.
23) Can you mention the difference between SEO and SEM?
SEM (Search Engine Marketing), it is used for the promotion of website through Search Engine Result Page (SERP) , while to optimize the search result of your webpage or website SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is used.
24) What do you know about LSI?
LSI stands for Latent Semantic Indexing. This technique is established to obtain the data by relating the word to its closest counterparts or to its similar context. For example, if you are searching something with a keyword �CAR� it will show all the related things like classic cars, car auctions, Bentley car, car race etc.
25) How will you cross-check whether your SEO campaign is working or not?
To check whether your SEO campaign is working or not, the first approach is to check the websites statistics, which tells you about the origin of traffic. The other way of checking is to make a search based on the relevant keywords and key phrases and look for the search result. The number of search result will tell you whether your SEO campaign is working or not.
26) What is the meaning of competitive analysis?
Competitive analysis does the comparison, between the website I am optimizing, and the website that is ranked highly in search results.
27) What will be your next steps if your SEO methods or technique does not work?
My first attempt would to try analysis the problem and resolve them step by step
- Firstly I would try to see whether it is a new project, and then like to re-check the key words.
- Also, I would look for relevant key-words that can be helpful.
- Even though the webpage and website has been indexed well and still not appearing on the first 10 pages of search engine result page, then I would make some changes in page text, titles and description.
- If website is not indexed well or dropped from the index, than it might comprises serious issues and re-work might be required.
28) What is PPC?
PPC stands for Pay Per Click and is an advertisement campaign hosted by Google. It is segmented into two modules CPC ( Cost per click) and CPM ( Cost per thousand impressions) through flat rate and bidding respectively. In CPC, if the user clicks on the advert, only then the advertiser will be charged.
29) What is 301 redirect?
It is a method by which the user is redirected to new page url to old page url . It is a permanent redirect and it is also useful in directing link juice to new url from old url .
30) What are Webmaster tools?
Webmaster tool is a service provided by Google from where you can get backlink information, crawl errors, search queries, Indexing data, CTR etc.
31) What is keyword density and what is the formula for knowing keyword density?
From SEO point of view, keyword density will definitely help to stand out your content from others. The formula to know the keyword density is ( Total number of keyword/ total number of words in your article) multiply by 100.
32) Can you optimize the website which has pages in millions?
From SEO point of view, for dynamic website, special additional SEO stuffs have to be implemented.
- Good Internal link structure
- Generation of dynamic title and description
- Dynamic XML sitemap generation